Name: | Description: | Size: | Format: | |
---|---|---|---|---|
5.85 MB | Adobe PDF |
Advisor(s)
Abstract(s)
É descrita, de modo sumário, a história do Convento da Arrábida desde a sua fundação,
em 1539 por frades franciscanos, inicialmente instalados no chamado Convento Velho, que
veio a ser substituído pelo Convento Novo, começado em 1542 e localizado nas proximidades.
A leste deste último foi construído, entre 1638 e 1729, o Santuário do Bom Jesus.
O Convento Novo situa-se a meio da encosta sul da serra da Arrábida, com forte declive,
o que condicionou a disposição em socalcos e a arquitectura dos edifícios.
A zona possui denso coberto vegetal do tipo mediterrânico. Os calcários carsificados e
muito fissurados da serra da Arrábida e a baixa precipitação explicam a escassez de água
superficial, o que obrigou à captação subterrânea, mediante extensas galerias de minas. A água
assim captada era conduzida para os locais de utilização no Convento Novo, ao longo de
caleiras. em geral, a céu aberto, e de condutas verticais e sub-verticais, nos trechos que vencem
os desníveis dos socalcos. Existia ainda a captação de uma nascente, denominada Fonte da
Samaritana. A água destinava-se essencialmente à utilização doméstica e ao abastecimento de
fontanários. A água sobrante e parte da residual era conduzida para tanques que alimentavam
o sistema de rega do horto.
A água para alimentação do Bom Jesus, utilizada sobretudo na rega de jardins, exigia
menor garantia de fornecimento, pelo que foi obtida do escoamento superficial, captado por
duas valas e armazenado numa cisterna.
A escassez de água no local determinou o seu aproveitamento racional e integrado.
The history of the Arrábida convent is briefty described since its foundation in 1539 by franciscan Friars who initialy settled the old convent (Convento Velho) which was later substituted by the present convent in 1542 (Convento Novo). The Bom Jesus Shrine was built between 1639 and 1729. The new convent is situated half-way up the southern hillside of the Arrábida mountain. Its steep slope demanded a step arrangement and influenced the architecture of the convent The region is covered by a hight density mediterranian vegetation. The very fissured and cavernous limestones of this mountain and the low rainfall result in scarcity of superficial water and in the necessity of searching for underground water sources by means of long mine galleries. The collected water was drained to the convent mostly through open channels and vertical anel sub-vertical pipes to overcome the steps. There was also lhe Samaritana spring. Theses waters was mainly used as domestic and fountain supply. The remaining water and lhe wastewater were drained into tanks and used for garden irrigation. The water which supplied the Bom Jesus Shrine was used above all for garden irrigation for which regularity of supply was less important. Therefore the water was obtained from the runnoff colected by two ditches and stored in a cistern. The lack of water in the area enforced its rational and integrated management.
The history of the Arrábida convent is briefty described since its foundation in 1539 by franciscan Friars who initialy settled the old convent (Convento Velho) which was later substituted by the present convent in 1542 (Convento Novo). The Bom Jesus Shrine was built between 1639 and 1729. The new convent is situated half-way up the southern hillside of the Arrábida mountain. Its steep slope demanded a step arrangement and influenced the architecture of the convent The region is covered by a hight density mediterranian vegetation. The very fissured and cavernous limestones of this mountain and the low rainfall result in scarcity of superficial water and in the necessity of searching for underground water sources by means of long mine galleries. The collected water was drained to the convent mostly through open channels and vertical anel sub-vertical pipes to overcome the steps. There was also lhe Samaritana spring. Theses waters was mainly used as domestic and fountain supply. The remaining water and lhe wastewater were drained into tanks and used for garden irrigation. The water which supplied the Bom Jesus Shrine was used above all for garden irrigation for which regularity of supply was less important. Therefore the water was obtained from the runnoff colected by two ditches and stored in a cistern. The lack of water in the area enforced its rational and integrated management.
Description
Simpósio internacional realizado no Convento da Arrábida, 15-17 de Novembro de 1993
Keywords
Arqueologia Convento da Arrábida História Hidrologia Recursos hídricos Arrábida
Citation
Cardoso, João Luís [et al.] - A água no Convento da Arrábida. In Simpósio Internacional, Lisboa, 1993 - " Hidráulica monástica medieval e moderna [Em linha] : actas". Lisboa : Fundação Oriente, 1996. ISBN 972-9440-49-2. p. 349-372